"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Thirty-six years ago today...

...an 18-year old girl walked into a small clinic in a run-down part of Fort Worth. Since I never knew her, I can't imagine the thoughts and emotions that day brought for her. Maybe she was an emotional wreck because of what was about to happen. She may have spent a tear-filled night, staying up all hours pondering the decision she was about to make. On the other hand, it may have been an easy decision. She may have been relieved to get rid of the burden she had been carrying around for nine months, and was ready to get back to her normal routine.

Whatever the circumstances were on that day, I am thankful for that lady...because she gave me life.

In fact she gave me life twice. She gave me life when she made the decision to endure her unwed pregnancy and accept any humiliation or embarrassment that being a single, pregnant woman might bring. And then she gave me life when she decided that she wouldn't be able to care for a baby in the way that it deserved to be cared for and gave me up for adoption.

I was raised in a simple home, but I never wanted for anything. I have been blessed with two Godly parents who have done more for me than they will ever know. I have an extended family that is a blessing to be around. I have a wife and three beautiful sons that keep me smile on my face and cause me to marvel at how much one can love someone else.

I don't know who she is, where she is, or what she thinks about each year when this day rolls around. So a shout out to that sweet lady wherever she may be -- and a line from the song Signs: "I'm alive and doin' fine"...and thanks!
-----------
In other random January 31st news:

This could be the greatest day in baseball history...as Nolan Ryan, Jackie Robinson, and Ernie Banks were all born on this day. Me...well, I never made it off the Junior Varsity!

Also a big day in rock'n'roll...as Scott Ian (Anthrax), Phil Collins and K.C. (yes, the Sunshine Band guy) are shaking their bootie to celebrate their birthday along with me.

...Scotch tape first hit stores in 1928
...the U.S. launched its first satellite, Explorer I, in 1958
...in 1992, Howard Cosell announces his retirement.

Gee...pretty boring day.

4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, brother.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger D Pitt said...

Happy Birthday Campbell!
You are a good writer.
I heard this morning that you also get to share your birthday with N'Sync Front man Justin Timberlake! I know that you're fired up now!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger SG said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Chris have you ever thought about trying to find out who she was or is it "well enough" left alone?

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Happy Birthday, a day late.

GREAT post. Can I use it sometime?

Today your suggestion (odd things I've seen while preaching) is running at my place...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home