"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Monday, January 30, 2006

I LOVE BEING MARRIED!!!

This is something I probably don't say enough...and I KNOW I don't show and/or tell my wife of 13+ year that enough, either. She's a wonderful mother, LOVES to watch basketball, she's a great kisser, and she enjoys a good dose of Hamburger Helper as much as I do!

I can provide you with several lame excuses as to why I don't communicate this adequately. Most notable is that Robin and I three kids, two of which are EXTREMELY high maintenance...and a third that is well on his way to being so. So we stay pretty busy around our house. There are others...but I won't bore both of you with them.

The reason this topic is on my mind is that this past week I learned of two couples that are my age (that I know!) are splitting up...or at least are on the verge of splitting up. The reason: the husband had to run out and find him a girlfriend.

A quick note to those of you who have wandering eyes and other wandering body parts: If you wanna screw up your own marriage, please choose a different way to do it...because YOU AREN'T DOING THE REST OF US MARRIED GUYS A FAVOR!!! That little seed of suspicion that you plant in the mind of your wives' friends is devastating to those of us who ARE interested in being married and who ARE investing in giving our children the type of home that God intended.

But I do appreciate your jolting reminder that it's my job to ensure that my wife has 100% faith that I am honoring the vows I made on our wedding day. But the help you guys could lend me would be greatly appreciated.

So please, go get some counseling (it's dang-sure less expensive than the attorney fees and child support you're about to pay), take your wife on a date for an evening or a weekend (heck, I'll watch your kids for you -- free of charge!), or have yourself neutered (you're on your own with that one)!

In the meantime let me enjoy my wife and my marriage!

5 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

Great stuff Chris! Absolutely right on, although I'm not so sure about the neuter thing. The part beginning, "If you wannascrew up your marriage..." is especially good. Begging your permission to use that in an upcoming sermon series on marriage (I know, I know, I'll give you credit and all that blah blah).

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger SG said...

If Rob read blogs he would so "AMEN" this one! This topic has come up in our house several times in the last few years. It always ends up this way...
Rob:Have I ever given you any reason not to trust me?
Me: No, but "so-in-so" totally trusted "blank", and look whwhat happened to her.
Rob: I am not "blank"! In fact I would love to give "blank" a swift kick in the butt right now!
Then I feel better and it is over. Still news of marriages breaking up always put me on edge.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I remember at our five-year reunion I spoke with two women who had already divorced and remarried since we had graduated.

It really is unnerving, especially when I have known the couples for a while, because I know they went into marriage as commited to their vows as Chad and I were about ours. At least I thought they did.

When I hear about a couple our age splitting up, I want to know exactly why. Not to be nosy, but I want to make sure the same things aren't happening in my own marriage. What may be a lack of communication today could be fighting over child custody tomorrow.

Completely unnerving.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Val said...

Great thoughts and they go in tandem with Mike's sermon from yesterday. An interesting paradox keeps me true to my wife. On one hand I love her and am smart enough to know I could never do any better if I lived amillion years. On the other hand, I am also so stupid that I could never successfully be that sneaky. Still, I will try to fake it if the free sitting offer still stands.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think about this all the time. Infidelity has devastated my family. My mom, dad, and sister all divorced because of this.

This worried me when I first got married because I thought a couple of things could happen considering my family's history. I could either get sucked into this "way of life" like the rest of my family. Or I could live my marriage the way God intended us to. After 18 years, so far so good on the second one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home