"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Best of 2005

I always thought that my parents were full of it when they would tell me, "You know -- the older you get, the faster time flies."

Well...they're right!

2005 has come and gone...and while most of the year has seemed like a blur, there has been some adventurous, exciting, and momentous happenings this past year. So following are a couple of things that stood out to me in 2005.

ACHS over Sacred Heart: I finally got a chance to fulfill a lifelong dream when Robin invited me to coach with her this year. I think my wife is an outstanding coach...and I got a chance to witness this firsthand as she guided the ACHS girls basketball team to a 20-12 record and a trip to the TAPPS 2A Regional Finals. The pinnacle of that journey was when our girls beat Muenster Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart had won the past seven state championships, and has a tremendous reputation around the state of Texas. So it was an absolute thrill to travel to their gym and beat them by three points.

Illinois over Arizona: Continuing with the basketball theme, I've never seen a basketball game quite as exciting as the NCAA Regional Final between Illinois and Arizona. I think Arizona had a 15-point lead with less than 5 minutes remaining...but Illinois managed to chip away at that lead, send the game into overtime, and earn a trip to the Final Four.

Good-bye to Grandy: After a 10-year battle with cancer, we said good-bye to my grandfather. I grew a lot during the process. I spent time in a hospice unit (what a beautiful spirit the people at All Saints in Fort Worth have); I watched my father care for his father-in-law in a way that words can't describe (my dad is incredible); and I had the opportunity to eulogize a huge part of my childhood.

NCAA Div II Nat'l Track Meet: For two days, some of the greatest athletes in America came to Abilene to compete in the national track and field championships...and I had a front row seat at the finish line. Even though I was technically "working" I spent a considerable amount of time taking in the experience...and being reminded of exactly how slow I really am! The final race (the men's mile relay) was especially exciting as ACU came from behind on the final lap to win.

Hurricane Katrina: Wow! What a devastating experience that was to behold! And not only did it affect me and countless other adults, but it affected my oldest son Elijah. For the first time in his life, Elijah recognized that people were suffering. He knew that kids like him didn't have a house to live in...or toys to play with...or food to eat. How special it is to see the compassionate heart of your children.

Jacob Makes Three: September 12, 2005 is the date that Robin and I were outnumbered. But what a tremendous blessing young Jacob Martin Campbell has been to our family. His brothers love him (a little too much), he's been as healthy as any parent could ask for, and his little smile makes his mother and I so proud. Now if we could just figure out how to pay for his college!

Well...that's just a few of the things that made 2005 special for me. I'm sure 2006 will be full of surprises!

2 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger SG said...

Please tell me that our dear Christian college has some sort of break for their employees! Ovey!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

My Dad got his Ph.D. at Illinois and I lived there for 4 years.

After that game, my dad and brother gave each other a huge, bouncing-up-and-down hug, and my Dad passed out and hit his head on the tile in his kitchen!

Yes, we remember that game "bloody" well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home