"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dabbling in Randomness

I attended the National Conference of Youth Ministries this past week in Nashville. I didn't get to see much of the city...nor did I see anyone famous...but I did make one observation. Nashville has more Waffle House restaurants than any city in America! Now I love Waffle House...but are there that many people in Nashville that need therapy?
------
Why is it that when your children are on their best behavior there's never anyone around to see it? But when you make a 7:30PM trip to Wal-Mart, and your children feel like they're on a casting call for Dennis The Menace, Part II, you run into EVERYONE you know?!?!?!
------
Coaching -- a noble profession. But isn't it strange how the best coaches have never coached a day in their life? Every great basketball coach is sitting in the stands! NONE of them are down on the floor. NONE of them are spending hours upon hours reviewing game film, planning practices, conducting practices, or mentoring kids. It's only the ones who couldn't make it in another profession that have taken up this way of life.
------
I absolutely despise the large university that is in Austin, TX...but I firmly believe the nation was treated to the greatest football game in college football history last week. And as great of an athlete as Vince Young is, he IS NOT an NFL quarterback.
------
Picture of the day: Elijah and Noah informed me that they're going to be in a rock'n'roll band when they grow up...which I'm sure is a delightful thing for their mother to hear. They've already got their on-stage regalia ready to go. It appears they're going for the grunge, Seattle look.
------
I'm trying to read more. So I'm starting off my morning by making my way through the New Testament, then reading something else in the evening. I've been working my way through "Power Of A Praying Parent." As you can tell from the picture, I should probably read that through a few times.
------
An announcement was made in church on Sunday that there was to be a special collection taken up to help residents of a nearby town that were affected by a huge wildfire. Half of the money was going to the local Church of Christ -- that congregation was going to use the money to help their members who were affected. The other money was being sent to the Baptist congregation -- they were reaching out to the "unchurched" of the community. Hmmm......where's my WWJD bracelet?
------
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They could take that money and help finance the Campbell boys band. Some amps and mikes would be a good start.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope the Campbell boys band makes it big. They could become my second favorite band under U2. I just now caught up on reading my blogs since Christmas...so I just now did the survey. Sorry I'm slow.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger D Pitt said...

Aww, I was looking forward to a great pic of JMC in a UT hat!
HOOK'EM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home