"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Abilene's Unsung Heroes, Part iv

Last one...
-------------
For Larry Davis, it’s all about the kids.

This fall, Davis begins his third year as the Executive Director of Special Education for the Abilene Independent School District. Previously he spent 11 years in a similar role for Region 14, providing consulting services to the different Special Education programs throughout the region. While he loved his job at Region 14, Davis said he enjoys being close to the students.

“At Region 14 I got to make recommendations to the different school districts, and the teachers were left to carry out the program. Here, it’s my job to make sure each child’s educational experience is a positive one. I enjoy being close to the kids and getting to see how programs I oversee are impacting their lives and their parents’ lives.”

Davis says this isn’t merely a job. “It’s my mission. It’s what I’m about, and I’m doing what I love to do.”

Having grown up in Abilene, Davis knew the Abilene Christian University campus well. “I didn’t think there was any place else to go to school. And having graduated from Abilene Christian High School, going to ACU seemed like the natural place to be.

Davis’ passion for students with challenges was born early in his college career. While maintaining a full class schedule, Davis also worked full-time at the Abilene State School throughout college. That, coupled with the inspiration from his teachers, showed him that he had a gift for educating mentally and physically challenged kids. “Teachers like Dr Marsh, Dr. Avinger, Dr. Fritz and Dr. Tacker had a great impact on me. They saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself, and that encouraged me to work harder.”

After completing a Bachelors in Special Education, Davis went to work on his Masters in Supervision. At that level he continued to get the mentoring from his teachers. “Dr. Gee monitored me during my Masters work. I did the work, but he was always pushing me to do better.”

Today, Davis is Executive Director of a Special Education program that educates students with a range of disabilities. Students with an array of disabilities -- Autism, severe physical handicaps, hearing and speech impaired -- make up the 3,100 students in his program, ranging in ages from 3 to 21. Davis’ program has garnered high recognition from the Air Force. Airmen with disable children make special requests to be transferred to Dyess Air Force Base in order to enroll their children in the program. Davis also oversees the 550 personnel in his program along with a $20 Million budget.

While he admits the job can be stressful at times, he can’t see himself doing anything else. “Watching my kids succeed at things they do gives me great joy. It’s great watching a kid overcome something they used to struggle with.”

1 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Internet Blogger Defamation Case Lands in Court
A defamation lawsuit filed by a Smyrna Town Council member angered by anonymous criticism on the Internet has landed in the state Supreme Court.
Hey, you have a neat blog here! I will certainly recommend your blog to my colleagues ! I have a triglycerides site. It more or less reports a great deal that matches triglycerides matters. If you have the time, your are welcome to come and check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home