"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Friday, August 12, 2005

I Can't Think of a Good Title For This Entry...

...so I'll just start blabbing.

This morning Robin called me at work and said Elijah wanted to tell me something. Usually this means that Elijah has done something wrong, and that he is about to be punished...so I was prepared for the worst. So Robin puts him on the phone. "Daddy, will you come home please?"

"Why," I asked?

"Because I didn't get to tell you 'bye,'" he said sadly.

He was playing a video game when I walked out the door this morning. I said "bye" as I passed by his room -- but he was honed-in on Ms Pac-Man, and I don't guess he heard me. So he thought I had left without saying "bye."

And when I told him I was already at work and that I couldn't come home he started crying. "I just wanted to say good-bye," he cried.

Well...I live exactly 1.3 miles from my office. And even with construction it takes me five minutes to get home. So I jumped in the truck and drove home. Elijah was standing in the garage waiting for me (in just his underwear - a blog topic for another day). When I drove up he ran out to me, opened the truck door, gave me a big hug, and told me, "Bye!" Then he stood in the driveway waving at me until I drove out of sight.

I guess I could've stayed here at my desk and worked...but I wouldn't have traded that trip to the house for anything.

1 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Jacinda said...

wow! That's awesome; good for you! That is a memory that will live in his mind for a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home