"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Abilene's Unsung Heroes, Part I

The content of this pantheon of literary skill reached the eyes of influential people...and I was tasked to write about unsung Abilene heroes for a special insert of the Abilene Reporter News. Unfortunately, my work fell victim to the editor's knife, and my essay was left as kindling for the fire.

However...embracing a "glass is half full" attitude (a rarity for me), I look upon this not as a defeat...but as four blog entries!!! So both of you may now sit back, relax and "enjoy" the first installment.
-------------
Her job title is Case Manager, but Charlene Walker defines her role with Christian Homes of Abilene a bit differently. “I’m an advocate and a champion for birth mothers.”

Known to everyone as “Squeaky,” Walker has spent the last 20 years with Christian Homes of Abilene working with mothers and fathers who have decided to put their babies up for adoption. Some call it a job. For Walker it’s her passion. And it’s her ministry.

“Squeaky believes in the ministry of Christian Homes. And she’s an example of how you make a difference in someone’s life,” said Margaret Ballew, Director of Public Relations for Christian Homes of Abilene.

Walker’s ministry began almost thirty years ago after completing both Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Psychology at Abilene Christian University. After graduating, she worked with mentally challenged youth at the Abilene State School for more than two years. She then spent another six years in a similar role at the Skyview Learning Center in Stamford.

When Walker learned of an opportunity at Christian Homes of Abilene, she quickly jumped at the opportunity. “I’ve always been in ministry, and I wanted to use my skills AND my degree to work with the whole family, not just the kids.”

Walker estimates she has witnessed at least 750 births in her years at Christian Homes. She loves the opportunity to witness new life, but she is also humbled by the sacrifice these mothers make.

“It’s the Hannah story all over again,” Walker says, comparing the sacrifice these mothers make to the Old Testament story of Hannah and Samuel. “These mothers demonstrate the love of God to me over and over. They have chosen to give life. And not just that, but they have chosen to separate themselves from their child in order to improve the life of their baby.”

Walker spends most of her days on-call for Christian Homes. When she isn’t working one of her cases, she finds other ways to serve the community. Walked is active in both the Colonial Ministry and the Emmaus Project, ministries of her congregation, Highland Church of Christ.

But her greatest passion is the hundreds of birth mothers that she has worked with over the years, many of whom came to her in desperate circumstances. “Nothing gives me more joy than to see one of these moms make a change in her life.”

But Walker says she isn’t interested in analyzing her clients’ past. “My responsibility is to love these ladies the way God loved me. And to let them know that every day is a new day. Their baby isn’t a mistake – God made that baby for a reason.”

7 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

I used to work at Christian Homes when Randy was in Grad School and my office was next door to Charlene. It was a joy to see her at work and to witness the Lord using her daily in the lives of the young women there. Your article describes her well.

Kelly Jeffrey Vaughn

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Val said...

Squeaky is one of my favorite people. Did you research and write this?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

Great Blog Chris...evidently it is also popular with Blog spam. You can choose to require people to type in a block of letters/numbers to prevent spam from showing up on your comments. Go to the "change settings" on your Blog dashboard and choose comments. From there, click yes on "show word verification for comments".

Seriously, you should do more writing...you're great at it. Do you want to do my part of the YM newsletter??

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

Squeaky was my huddle leader all through high school. She is still very special to me -- you did a great job describing her heart!

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

Wow-waxing and water filters?! Very interesting...well, I just stumbled upon your blog through Joel's-and decided I would drop in and say hello! It is fun being on staff with you at ACU-what a great place to work at!!

I am also thankful for people like "Squeaky" who 26 years ago took my mother in and then placed me in a wonderful, loving, Christian family!! I know you share the same sentiments. It is so strange to see that come full circle now that I am at Highland-the very place that started Christian Homes of Abilene!! I love it...

Hope to see you around!! God bless~

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Great post. Tell Squeaky I said, "Hey." I love her. You can tell her that too.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Suzann Lowe West said...

Squeaky helped my daughter's birthmom through a very rough time and she is dear to all of us. Christian Homes is a wonderful place... and open adoption is a beautiful way to see God's love for all of us. Thanks to Squeaky for helping us, our daughter, and her very precious birthmom.
Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home