"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Friday, June 03, 2005

Risking An Eternity of Fire And Brimstone

This past Wednesday night we had a singing night at church. I love to sing. Granted, I ain't that great of a singer (ask my wife...or anyone else that has sat by me in church, chapel, etc), but I love to sing. And I think I know a good song when I hear one.

I also think I know a bad song when I hear one as well.

I know that Psalms 100:1 says "Make a joyful noise to the Lord..." and that Ephesians 5:19 says, "Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs." I also know that God is glorified, worshipped and praised when we sing. But sometimes I wonder if God scratches his "Sacred Head" (GREAT song!) at some of the songs we sing.

So...at the risk of hellfire and damnation...AND at the risk of having the ghosts of Barton Stone and Alexander Campbell haunt me 'til the end of my days...here, from the home office in Gunter, TX (the final residence of the great hymn-writer Tillit S. Tedllie), are the top ten worst hymns:

10. "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" -- A song with a beautiful message...but it sounds like a bad college fight song. All we need is a drum major, the flag corp, and a twirler and this song would be perfect.
9. "Kum Ba Yah" -- I know this is a traditional song, but c'mon!
8. "God's Family" -- "Sometimes we laugh together; sometimes we cry"...especially when we see this song listed in the order of worship!
7. "The Great Redeemer" -- Sorry, but every time they sing the "He-is ev-'ry-thing-to-me-to-me" part I giggle.
6. "Night With Ebon Pinion" -- I'm familiar with Peter, Andrew, James, John, Phillip, Thomas, Matthew, Bartholomew, James, Thaddeus, Simon, Judas.......who is this Ebon Pinion guy!?!?!?!
5. "Now The Day Is Over" -- This song makes it sounds as though not only the day is over, but life is as well.
4. "People Need The Lord" -- Yes, people do need the Lord. These same people also need to start a petition to have this song deleted from future copies of "Great Songs of the Church." Alton Howard where are you!!!
3. "A Beautiful Life" -- This song is exceptionally awful when pitched too low. Also -- dial the last four digits of your phone number...and it's the first four notes of this song!
2. "Angry Words" -- This is a song filled with good advice...but it's horrible!!!
1. "Low In The Grave He Lay" -- The transition from verse to chorus is odd by itself. But it becomes a real recipe for disaster when the song leader wants to sing all three verses, and THEN sing the chorus only once. There are always the handful of members who weren't paying attention and just can't wait to hit the chorus after the first verse. This song also haunts me as there was a gentleman in our congregation, when I was growing up, named J.T. Rose. So all of the kids would sing, "Up from the grave J.T. Rose!" Juvenille, I know.

Special recognition should also goes out to "Hilltops Of Glory" and all six verses of "Just As I Am."

7 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

Thank you! I am so glad someone else hates "People Need the Lord." It says "When will we realize that people need the Lord?" Well, obviously someone DID realize it, because there's a song about it! I also hate "He Gave Me a Song." ("In my heart joybells ring" -- what the heck's a joybell?!) And don't forget "He Bore it All" -- a song about Christ's death, yet it sounds like something you could tap dance to.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger SG said...

Ok I really like "Low in the grave he lay" and I go to church with JT Rose now.
When I was little I called this the "gravy and rolls song" because "Up for the gravy and rolls with a mighty triumph or his foes." I guess I thought the last supper was a food fight. I am also fond of #7, 6, 5, and 2, maybe because they remind me of my childhood. I am very much with you on "People Need the Lord" thought I feel guilty in saying so.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

I'll have to disagree with #10 (Wonderful Grace of Jesus) and #7 (The Great Redeemer). Maybe it's just because I love 80's music and those songs sound like something Kim Carnes (Bette Davis Eyes) or Olivia Newton-John (Let's Get Physical) would sing!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

You left off "God Give Us Christian Homes" -- I'm still trying to figure out my "queenly quest".

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger mom23 said...

I am sooo forwarding this to Dr. Rose. That is hilarious!!

And my nomination is what I affectionately call the abstinance anthem - teach me Lord to wait.

Tracy

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger ASA said...

What about "Life is filled with (Stick Transmissions) Swift Transitions".

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatness Chriso! But I like "Angry Words", I credit it with 11 plus happy years of marriage because it runs through my head at certain times!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home