"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Potpourri

While relaxing on the couch after putting my kids to bed...the following thoughts wandered aimlessly through my mind, spilled out onto the keyboard, and onto this thing called a blog. I'm feeling a little senile...
  • If you haven't read the book "unChristian," you REALLY need to check that out. Very thought-provoking...and also a good kick to the gut of the average guy who THINKS he knows how a Christian is supposed to act.
  • I found out four of my best buds from high school are all planning on attending our 20-year reunion in October. I wasn't planning on going...but now I'm having second thoughts (despite the $88 ticket price).
  • Ted Kennedy...c'mon...really?!?!?!!
  • I think Academy is my most favorite retail place of all times.
  • Is it just me...or is "A Fistful of Dollars" on AMC practically every week!
  • Tom Petty played at the American Airlines Center tonite. I wasn't there...and that's just not fair.
  • I don't care how many houses John McCain owns...unless, of course, he's planning on giving one of them to me.
  • Some lady at work always refers to me as "The Happy Guy." What a great compliment...now I need to remember to share with her why I'm so happy (trust me - it ain't because of the job!!!).
  • Rico, Noah's classmate, fell asleep in Art class today. How do you fall asleep in Art?!?!?!?!
  • I wish I got to go to Art class!
  • Isn't it time for a little high school football!??!?!

There...that's enough. Both of you can go back to your lives, now.

4 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have 'unChristian' on my Shelfari to read soon. Can't wait...!

Facebook is leading me to see who of my friends think the federal government will do a good job of nationalized health care. The phrase gives me chills -- and not in a good way. Every time Hillary said it, I wanted to cry.

I have all kinds of speculation about why a 5 year old would fall asleep in art, but they're all pretty cynical and judgemental...

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check in every once in a while~ keep writing! I love your stories about your boys ~ tell Robin hello and we miss ya'll in Abilene!!
Lex Ann Hood
P.S. I especially love the classic about overflowing the toilet on an ACU recruiting trip~so funny!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

I read unChristian, and you're right. It should be required reading, it's a definite gut-check. I read that one before we started teaching a class on 'No Perfect People Allowed', and it dovetails well with the experiences of the folks that built Gateway Bible Church in Austin from a few couples to a few thousand, primarily single young people in Austin. It's a very different, post-Christian world out there, completely different than it was even when we were kids.

And yes, Sarah, the feds would undoubtedly botch nationalized health care. If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

unChristian is also on my "need to read" list-I have been able to flip through it, but have not gotten to the meat yet. Hopefully I can soon when I get a job and can feed my book obsession :)

It is great that you can be the "Happy Guy" even when you don't like your job-that is making the best out of life, which you are good at!

Yes, it is most definitely time for high school football-I LOVE this time of year!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home