"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rock'n'Roll...YOU'RE LETTING ME DOWN!!!

Robin and I have AT&T U-Verse here at the house...and it's awesome! Why? Because at any given time during the day or night you can find a show on practically any topic. The down-side of AT&T U-Verse...is that your children can ALSO wander across those same shows that you wish they didn't see.

Which is what happened last night.

Around 9:45p.m., Robin was in the bathtub while I was in the living room trying to get my two younger children ready for bed. Elijah, a.k.a, The Grand Inquisitor, was sitting on the bed in our room watching a channel that my wife had abandoned in favor of a warm bath.

After I sent the younger two up to bed, I went to check on Elijah and found him watching said show. It was a "Behind The Music" wannabe featuring Aerosmith. Granted, I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, but they do have a handful of catchy tunes that I enjoy (see "Toys In The Attic"). I'm enjoying the tales of Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and the gang's wild destructions of backstage dressing rooms and hotel rooms...when the show moves promptly into the band's well-documented drug addictions. I quickly dive for the remote control hoping Elijah didn't catch the quick transition.

"Why did you change the channel, Daddy," he asked pointedly.
"Uh...they're not very nice people, so we don't need to watch their show," I replied...a little disappointed with my lame response.
"But you like rock'n'roll, Daddy, right?"
"Yes, quite a bit."

Then the stinger. "Do any of the bands you like have nice guys? What about KISS," he asked, knowing full-well his Daddy has been to three of his favorite band's concerts?

Hmm. My mind raced through the titles of their songs: "Christine Sixteen" (a song about an infatuation with an under aged beauty); "Plaster Caster" (a tribute to a group of lady that made plaster molds of a specific body part; "Let's Put The 'X' in Sex" (geez, enough said!); and the list goes on.

"Um...no, KISS doesn't have very nice guys."

"What about yout other favorites? Are they nice?"

I ran through my CD/MP3 catalog:
AC/DC? - Uh, no.
Judas Priest? - No way - the name says it all!
Motley Crue? - The upside down pentagram is not a good thing
The Cult? - I can hear it now: "Daddy, what a cult?"
The Ramones? - Maybe...but way too many drugs

And then it hit me....THANK GOD FOR BONO!!!!

So I started to preach the gospel of U2 to Elijah. I told him about "40," a song whose lyrics are taken from the first 3 verses of Psalm 40. I told him about "Where The Streets Have No Name," a song that has become an anthem about life in Heaven for those who believe. I then began to tell him how important it was for him to surround himself with good thoughts and good influences and good friends...and that included the music that he listened to.

And that's when I began to feel like the biggest hypocrite walking the face of the Earth.

So this morning, on my way to work, I listened to 89.7 Power FM. I found a couple of songs that were catchy...so I'll check out more from those folks. But if either of you have any suggestions on contemporary Christian music with a nice punk or 80's metal twist (and no, I don't mean Stryper, Petra, or Whiteheart) I'd love to hear about it!

8 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger SG said...

Third Day and the David Crowder Band are good starts.

Yeah, it bites to love the rock of the 80's yet want to be examples for our kids. Guitar Hero brought us to this point way before I was ready.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about 80's sound but you might like NEEDTOBREATHE and Decemberadio. Both have a good rock sound with positive lyrics. Try The Elms also.

Fortunately I can't think of any Christian groups with a KISS sound. Never was much of a KISS fan. I think it is because the biggest bully in 7th grade had a KISS belt buckle and thought he was really tough!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Yvonne said...

Hey Chris - gotta love those kids! I totally agree with SG. Third Day and David Crowder will be good starts. Jeremy Riddle would be a good one to add as well.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

The rockier bits of Christian music I like are Audio Adrenaline and Building 429. I think Audio Adrenaline hung it up recently, but their catalog is great and if you want to hear some fantastic lead guitar, they bring it. Building 429 opened for Casting Crowns & Chris Tomlin in CC's first tour, they're certainly more rock-oriented than CC or Chris Tomlin. Another pretty good guitar-driven group is Kutless. They managed to land a down-tempo song called 'All of the Words' in a Scrubs episode, which is the first time I heard them.

If you remember Lucas Hendrickson (ACU '90), he's been an entertainment writer in Nashville for about 20 years (dang, time does fly...) and knows about everyone in the music business on the Christian side, he might be an excellent resource. His website is http://www.largelandmammal.com -- his email is there as well.

He's not kidding about the large part. Lucas is bigger than me.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

PS: Switchfoot ain't bad either.

Most of these bands you can listen to samples of on Amazon.com or iTunes.

Happy shopping

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

If you want a rock-oriented but kid-friendly CD that doubles as a Christian rock sampler, you could do worse than 'Veggie Rock' from the Veggie Tales people. Your kids almost assuredly know the songs, each is done by a different Christian rock band.

Sorry for the multiple posts but you've made be page through my iPod all day looking for Christian Rock.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Ha ha-oh my, that is so true. And you DO gotta love Bono!! I sure do-U2 is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Many great groups have already been mentioned-there is quite a bit more of Christian rock in the last couple of years to choose from. I do like a lot of the artists from PowerFM-I am sure you can check into a lot of them on their site.

Skillet is another good one-I saw them in concert a few months ago and they are AMAZING!! I saw Needtobreathe, too-and loved them. If I think of anymore, I will let you know.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

or you could just tell him that sometimes God uses those who don't follow Him to perform really awesome music....

:)


I agree, Third Day is awesome. In fact Josh Hamilton of the Rangers uses a Third Day song as his entrance music when he's up to bat.


Jars of Clay....not so rocky but still great. Lifehouse. David Crowder. Um....


We pretty much rock out to Coldplay in my car because for some reason my children LOVE Coldplay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home