"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Another First Day of School

I was reminded of the words of that great theologian and philosopher, Meat Loaf, as we trudged off to today's first day of school..."Two outta three ain't bad." Those words echoed through my head as Elijah began his first day of second grade, and Noah started his elementary school career as a Kindergartener. My how time flies!

And my, what an event the first day of school has become!!!

I haven't verified any of this with my mother...but I don't ever recall a "Meet The Teacher" day the week before school. As I recall, you showed up to school, looked at a list posed on the School Office window, and lamented how the fates had treated you as you trudged off to meet this mystery woman. And I don't recall parents banding together to walk their kids to school on the first day. As a matter of fact, I don't remember my parents even walking into school with me except on the first day of Kindergarten!

But this morning, it was a scene from the book of Exodus as every house on our street emptied to shuttle unsuspecting youths to another year of scholastic achievement. Youths dressed in their newest clothes with carefully manicured hair.

Everyone...except the Campbell children.

The night before Robin carefully made a wardrobe selection ideal for the first day of school. For Elijah she chose Khaki shorts and a nice red shirt; for Noah, denim shorts and his Joakim Noah Chicago Bulls jersey. As a weary Elijah wandered downstairs, he saw his attire laid out on the couch and instantly exclaimed, "Aw mom, I don't want to wear NICE clothes to school."

And so it began. A battle of wills - the likes of which had not been seen since Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln in the mid-1860's. In the end, Elijah emerged victorious...though slightly scarred. Though the khaki shorts were still in place, the "NICE" red t-shirt had been replaced by his Chicago Bears Rex Grossman jersey.

So off we went...kinda.

There was one more child who felt neglected about not getting to participate in the day's festivities. So while Elijah and Noah ran off after their friends on their scooters...and Robin, camera in tow, quickly followed behind, I tried to coax my almost-3-year old to come along for the pomp and circumstance. In the end, a piggy-back ride was the only thing that enabled this family experience to continue. A piggy-back ride, might I add, in 85 degree heat/humidity.

Elijah cared very little about mom and dad hanging around to see him off to his first day in class. He quickly went inside his room, settled in at his desk, and instantly went to the task laid before him by his veteran teacher. Meanwhile, I was refereeing the wrestling match between Noah and Jacob while trying to help one of Elijah's classmates find his locker.

Then we were off to Noah's class...and he was pumped. We arrived to find the teacher trying desperately to console a young lady who was not the least bit thrilled about this new experience. We also met Noah's new girlfriend and tablemate Mabrey. Mabrey's parents definitely outdid the Campbell's, leaving her with a picture of the entire family on one side of an index card...and a picture of her kitty cat on the other side. She proudly showed her new friend her card...though I'm not sure if she was showing him because she was proud of it, or if she was taunting Noah by showing him how unprepared HIS parents were.

As we were filing out, I met Rico. Yes...there is a kid in Noah's class named Rico. And yes, he threw me up against a locker and made me give him my milk money (I'm kidding...but Rico might be in that line of work by the time the school year is over!). He LOOKS like a Rico...and he TALKS like a Rico. I told Noah, "Make friends with Rico - you will go far."

So we patted Noah on the head and told him how proud we were of him and headed out the door.

And yes...as the rock of our family...I cried a little.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I woke up with a migraine. My 10 year old had picked out his own clothes -- his purple 'ACU Volunteer' shirt that we found in a dumpster last spring, and his red athletic shorts. We were stylin' and profilin' at our house.I couldn't get off the bed to make breakfast (also what the over-achieving parents will do) so it was dry cereal. Off he went on his bicycle. It is HIS last year in elementary. I know you don't think you will EVER get there...

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ellison said...

Love it! I absolutely love the family updates! Your kids crack me up!!!! Tell the fam I said hi!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Jimmy and Judy said...

Sounds like the First Day of School worked out pretty good. Thanks for sharing it.

We encountered a Grandpa who had chatted with his Granddaughter after the first day of Kindergarten...."yes I had fun and we did our work and we didn't finish so we get to come back tomorrow!!!!" Little does she know! Tell family hello for us.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Ha ha-that is the most entertaining version of the first day of school I have read in awhile ;)

By the way...you should know that Meatloaf went to my alma mater...Lubbock Christian (he has verified this fact), and word is he streaked through chapel and was later kicked out (I am not sure if he has verified the chapel streak).

Thought you might enjoy that piece of information :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home