"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Is About Learning

I love Christmas!

But I don't enjoy watching people run willy-nilly to the mall during their lunch break to buy one more gift while I try to navigate the drive-thru at Panda Express. I don't enjoy talking to a customer on the phone while trying to tune out the din of my co-workers agonizing to one another about equalling out the amounts they have spent on their children. I don't enjoy wrapping gifts...even though I'm really, really good at it (just ask Robin)!!! Of course, I also don't enjoy the gift bag (I think that's a cop-out!). I don't enjoy taking back pants that are the wrong size...and finding that they no longer have my size (will someone PLEASE tell my mother I have a 34" waist!!!).

I don't enjoy all of that...but I do love Christmas.

I love the fact that Jacob, our youngest, is still more excited about the process of opening a present than he is about what's inside. Heck, you could wrap an empty two-liter bottle of Diet Coke, and the kid would be ecstatic! And I learned to enjoy the ride.

I love the fact that a used $2.99 Nintendo Gamecube game was really all that Elijah wanted for Christmas. Mommy and Daddy felt compelled to shower him with more than he needed or wanted. And I learned a valuable lesson - LISTEN TO YOUR CHILD!

I love the fact that a simple Whoopee Cushion (I THINK that's how you spell it) will keep Noah entertained for days (though I have vowed to get my brother-in-law back for that one!). And I learned to appreciate the simple things.

I love watching my boys shop earnestly for the family we adopted for Christmas. And I learned to do more than just go through the motions.

I love being around my family. And I learned that I am blessed beyond measure.

I hope both of you had a Merry Christmas!!!

1 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

Welcome back to blogland!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! :)

I am still waiting on that lunch! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home