"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Happy Anniversary

I've submitted the argument on more than one occasion that I have the greatest wife in the entire world. The reasons for this are many...and I'll expound further on some of them another time.

Today, however, I'd like to extol the greatness of my wife when it comes to our anniversary. On August 8th, Robin and I celebrated 14 years of wedded bliss. The fact that she has hung around a dork like me for fourteen years qualifies her for sainthood...but that's not the only reason I think she's the greatest.

When I ask Robin what she wants for her anniversary (or for ANY occasion) she gives me an honest answer...and that answer is usually, "Nothing." Granted, I know "nothing" doesn't mean "absolutely nothing"...but it does mean, "Please don't burst a blood vessel trying to come up with something fancy."

So I was driving back from Austin the day of my anniversary...and on my way out of town I passed an Einstein's Bagels. Now when Robin and I lived in Plano, we went to Einstein's every Saturday morning. We would get a bagel and coffee, read the paper, and visit for hours. So while I was thrown back in time ten years, I swung off the highway and dove into Einstein's. Seeing that we were celebrating our 14-year anniversary, I selected 14 bagels. When I told the lady behind the counter why I wanted 14, she shot me a quizzical, almost disgusted look. She was not impressed with my anniversary gift.

I made the 3-1/2 hour drive home, hit the back door, and proudly proclaimed "Happy Anniversary" and delivered my gift. Robin was thrilled, promptly digging around to make sure I got her at least one Chocolate Chip bagel (which I did!).

Now...ANOTHER reason I have the greatest wife in the world is she is also a clever gift giver. That morning, she happened to be school supply shopping for Elijah. They were in a section that had folders as far as the eye could see...and while Elijah was digging for a Superman folder, Robin happened upon the perfect gift for me.

So after securing the Chocolate Chip bagel, Robin promptly handed me the sack with my gift in it. I removed the gift from the sack and was thrilled to see my new AC/DC folder (if either of you don't remember, I'm very much an 80's metal head, and AC/DC is one of my favorites).

I looked at the folder and recognized that it was the cover of AC/DC album with...shall we say...and uncomfortable title. And sure enough, there at the bottom of the folder was the title of the album.

"Ballbreaker"

Two thoughts shot through my head:
(1) What exactly is she trying to say? (she claims she didn't see the title until after she left the store).
(2) What the heck was this folder doing in the school supply section of Wal-Mart?

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

Dude, I'm pretty sure you're on the Highway to Hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home