"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

"Know what I wish?"

That was the question Elijah asked me tonite as we were sitting on the front porch. The front porch is the new "rock-Jacob-to-sleep" spot. We figure he can scream bloody murder out there - that way we can share our joy with our neighbors!

Anyhow, Elijah and I were looking up at the stars, and he found a "wishing star." I think it was Mars that he found...but I didn't have the heart to tell him that there was no such thing as a "wishing PLANET." He asked, "Know what I wish?"

"No, tell me," I said.

"Nope, can't tell you, or you won't get your wish."

Silly me!

"Who makes wishes come true, Daddy?"

Searching for my theologian hat I said, "Well, if it's something you really need, and if you REALLY trust God, then God will answer every prayer."

"YES," came the excited and energetic reply! "Let's pray out here tonite, Daddy."

I felt a tear come to my eye and a lump start to form in my throat...but those quickly transitioned into a giggle as he began his prayer, "Dear God, thank you for Mommy and Daddy, and please send me a chocolate bar every time I eat something good..."

I guess I'll need to work on my explanation of wishes coming true.

It was my turn to pray, but before I could start Elijah asked, "Daddy what do you wish?"

That was easy. "I wish Baby Jacob would pipe down and go to sleep!"

"No really, Daddy, what do you wish?"

So I ran inside and got my Bible and read 3 John 4 -- "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." I explained to him that both Mommy and I want nothing more in this life than for all three of our boys to love Jesus and do everything He wants them to do."

"That's a good wish, Daddy."

Yeah...I think so, too.

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That IS a good wish (baby sleeping isn't too bad, either). The absolute least and most we can pray for.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

Funny Keeley spiritual moment the other day: She was asking about the Holy Spirit and Laurie was explaining, and she interrupted and asked something to the effect, "No, Mom, what does it do?"
Laurie answered the good theology answers (helps us when we pray, lives inside us guiding us) and she added this one: convicts us when we sin. Keeley immediately answered, "Well it's not doing a very good job because I've been doin' a lot of sinning lately!"

btw, it's good to see you posting more often than once a month...

keep it up.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Jenna said...

So precious! Your love for God and for your family shines through. Your boys will grow up to be mighty men of God! Chocolate sounds like a good wish to me!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

You are such a great father!!

I wish for chocolate all the time...

You rock-God bless!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home