"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Points to Ponder

Random thoughts while pondering the whereabouts of Alex Winter (Bill from "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" fame...I don't think he has worked much lately).
----------
It is indisputable that I am the more immature member of the Campbell couple. That being said, I was relieved to come home one day to find Robin giggling to herself while looking through Elijah's backpack. Elijah had brought home a drawing of the solar system, and his teacher helped him label all the planets. While going over each of the planets, Robin found it especially funny to say to Elijah, "Look, Elijah, there's Uranus." Truth be told, I even giggled while typing this.
----------
Have you ever driven the portion of I-10 in between Kerrville and Junction? I love that portion of interstate because the speed limit is 75. But the road looks like a Civil War battlefield! I've never seen so many carcasses in my life. Just had to share...
----------
Drove to San Antonio last weekend for an alumni event. On the way I saw five ladies on the shoulder of the freeway waving frantically to traffic. I pulled over to see what was going on. Before I could throw my truck into reverse, all five ladies (none of them younger than 55) began sprinting (a relative term) towards my truck.

"Thank God you stopped. We have a flat tire and none of us knows where the jack is." Granted, I'm an automotive idiot, but I've changed a few tires in my lifetime...so I was prepared to be the hero. After finding the jack, one of the ladies hunkers down beside me to admire my work. It was obvious to me that while waiting for their "hero" they had decided to visit with another friend -- Jack Daniels. So amidst the fumes of JD, exhaust, and dead deer, I got their tire changed. We said our good-bye's, and I walked towards my truck...when I heard the pitter-patter of shoes running up behind me. I turned to see one of the ladies extending her fist out toward me and asking me, "You want some almonds? They sure are good!" In her other hand was a can of almonds...and she was prepared to offer me some of her goods.

I declined...and made my way quickly on down the road.
----------
Stopped in a Dairy Queen in Schulenburg, TX (can anyone tell me what Schulenburg's mascot is?). Ordered a Peanut Buttercup Blizzard (nothing better) and made my way back to the men's room.

Posted in the bathroom was a sign that read, "If this facility is in need of attendance please notify management."

So I think I'm a funny guy...and I walk back up to the front and ask for the manager. She comes walking out, and I told her, "I was just in the bathroom. And I feel certain that there is no one in there any longer. Therefore, the bathroom is now in need of attendance." I cracked a wry smile at her...but got none in return. So I quickly grabbed my Blizzard and dashed out the door before she called the cast of "Deliverance" to do something with me.
----------
When did the Easter Bunny start delivering stuff other than candy. Elijah got a set of golf clubs; Noah got a mini-soccer goal; and Jacob (SEVEN MONTH OLD JACOB!!!) got toys out the ying-yang!!! When I was seven months old I didn't get squat!!! And I dang sure didn't get a set of golf clubs for Easter. You know what I got -- EGGS! And not just eggs, but boiled eggs...boiled eggs I had boiled AND colored the night before!!!

These kids today are WAY too pampered!
----------
Pray for me and Noah...as I did not attend church on Sunday. Noah and I enjoyed a stomach "bug" together, so we stayed home from church (I don't know if Noah's case was any sort of reaction to lipstick being placed in sensitive areas -- I'll get back to you on that).

Granted, I know that the Churches of Christ went to great lengths in my youth to hide the correlation between Easter and the resurrection of Jesus...but I still feel a bit guilty. Guess I'll have to WORK extra hard this week to ensure my salvation.

6 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

The Easter bunny brought socks as part of the girl's baskets...they weren't too impressed with it! It just goes to show mine are pampered as well!

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schulenburg is home of the fighting Shorthorns. I don't know what a "Shorthorn" is. You would think the opposite of a Longhorn would be an Aggie but I guess it would really be a Shorthorn. Anyway...if memory serves me correctly, a few years ago the publisher of Superman comics tried to get the Shorthorns to stop using the Superman S as their logo. I never heard what became of that.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, there's a connection between Easter and Jesus? You're right. Didn't hear that much growing up.

By the way, Alex Winter is actually directing the Napster movie.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

Love that drive along I-10! Not really, I did it every weekend from Abilene when Laurie and I were engaged. It was still 55 then! Hated it!

I always thought there was more roadkill along the highway between Mason and Brady. I almost bought the farm more than once in the old Subaru when deer were jumping fences and running out in front of me. Last count I think I killed Armadillo, Possum, and some sort of groundhog/prairie dog thing (didn't stop to see).

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Val said...

Oddly enough, I did get squat from the Bunny. I think he had a heck of a time wrapping it. In retrospect, it may have had something to do with the fact that my Easter Bunny was a male single parent that grew up during the Depression. At any rate, my kids are spoiled by the whole crew: The Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, Sant, Hanuka Harry, Cupid, Uncle Sam, etc.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

I had a science teacher that gave us detention if she heard us refer to the planet in the wrong way. I think I had detention 3 or 4 times. It's funny that I am now 36 years old and still find that funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home