"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Anyone Got A Kleenex?!?!?!

Those who know me well can testify that I'm probably the weepiest guy in America. I'm not ashamed of the fact that it doesn't take much for the tears to start flowing...but it does make for some awkward circumstances.

I was reminded of this fact yesterday...as I was hit with a barrage of sad news in a short span of time. Most notable of these were that one of my favorite students here at ACU is pregnant and the "male donor" wants nothing to do with her, and one of my most favorite people in the world was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease.

So I'm relaying this information to one of my co-workers with my eyes welling up with tears. I apologized, noting once again that I'll cry at anything. And I began to detail some of the things that make me turn into a blubbering mass of tears and tissue.

Texas State Basketball Tournament: I know what you're thinking -- how on earth does a guy cry watching basketball...and girls basketball at that! Well...for years, Robin and I have gone to the girls tournament. In each championship game, there is a winner and a loser...and Robin giggles at me as tears stream down my face as I watch the losing team mourn their loss. The incident that sticks out is when Whiteface lost in the Class A championship game on a last-second shot...and while the winning team (Nazareth, I think) is celebrating, the coach from Whiteface went down the bench, took the face of each of his sobbing players in his hands, and kissed them on the cheek. I absolutely lost it, and, truth-be-told, am tearing up while typing this!

Funerals: Yes, everyone cries at funerals...but I cry at funerals of people I don't even know!!!! People I've never met in person!!! Sad, but true. How I eulogized my grandfather I'll never know!

Movies: Here, for your amusement, are five movies that stick out in my mind as paralyzing me with sorrow (no laughing, please)...

5. "The Champ" -- Boxing movie with Ricky Schroeder and Jon Voigt. This is notable as it's the first movie I remember crying in (Champ dies in his last boxing match)...and I was 8!!!
4. "E.T." -- Watched it not too long ago with Elijah and Noah; both thought it was funny that there daddy was tearing up. Both boys OBVIOUSLY have their mother's sensitivity!
3. "School of Rock" -- Not only is this my most favorite movie of all time, but I cry every time they play their song at the end. No, I have absolutely no idea WHY I'm crying -- I just am!
2. "Dead Man Walking" -- No lie, I cried solid through the last 45-minutes of this movie. I don't necessarily recommend seeing this movie as it's quite disturbing, but it's AWESOME! I actually felt sorry for Sean Penn's character!
1. "Hoosiers" -- I cry in three different parts of this movie each time: A) When Ollie (the short, funny-looking bench warmer) sinks both free throws to win the regional final game; B) When Everett and his dad (Dennis Hopper) have their reunion at the hospital; and C) When Jimmy Chitwood hits the shot at the end and the ensuing celebration takes place.

Honorable mention goes out to "Steel Magnolias," "Fried Green Tomatoes," "Dad," "Phenomenon," and any other movie that has a funeral scene.

6 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

Here let's see if I can get the tears going - (you can picture the scene after the fight in the training room with Jon Voight laying on the table; you can hear Ricky Schroeder's little voice as he's saying these lines)

"Champ, Champ! Wake up, Champ!
Champ, Champ! Wake up, Champ!"

I know, I'm mean...

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

How are you with OnStar commercials? They make me a mess! What is up with that?

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,
I wonder if there is such a thing as a closet blog reader? I know the answer because I am one. I enjoy reading blogs but seldom interact with the author/hosts. Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading yours for some time and just felt I needed to tell you that. Keep sharing and God bless you and your lovely (and hilarious) family. abel

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

So...do you cry at the Hallmark commercials too? I have only seen my hubbie cry once from a movie and it was "The Notebook."

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger SG said...

Off the subject but somethng about "The School of Rock" reminded me of you the first time ai saw it.
-The Mc Donalds commercial where the little old man goes back to work and at the end of the day his wife asks him how it went and he says "Don't know how they ever got along with out me" makes me cry if I just think about it too long. AND I'm not sure why but I tear up at the end of "The Little Mermaid" when Arial gets married and her Dad rises up out of the Sea to tell her good bye.
Terms of Endearment, Steel Magnolias and The Notebook also get my water works flowing.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

There was a Nicole Kidman/Michael Keaton movie that was a waterworks fiesta, it was called 'My Life' and is out on DVD if you ever get a blocked tear duct or something. That movie is mean, if there's something insufficiently mourned in your life it'll dig it all up again.

Cathartic, but tough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home