"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Yearning for Yester-decade


Friday, October 14th, is JamFest on the campus of Abilene Christian University. One of my roles in the Alumni Office is acting as the staff liaison for those students coordinating the event...so I've been fortunate to be close to the inner-workings of this whole event.

The musical talent of the students on this campus is incredible...and it has taken me back to the Spring of 1990 when ACU held its second (and final) "Battle of the Bands" competition. A time when I (lead vocals), Mark McAllister (percussion), Lance McAlip (bass), Deeb Pipes (keyboard), and the greatest brother axe-duo in the history of modern music, Jeff & Jay Isler, formed what was quite likely the most magnificent band to never cut an album. That's right music lovers -- nothing but bootlegged recordings of that single great rock show that was TIENEMAN WEEKEND has carried over into posterity.

I remember our set like it was yesterday. We began with "Orange Crush" by R.E.M. We followed that up with "Girl Like You" by The Smithereens, "Melt With You" by Modern English, and "Good Lovin'" by The Young Rascals. From there we went into the Van Halen-inspired rendition of "You Really Got Me"...and concluded our show with quite possibly the greatest song ever written -- "Superman" (R.E.M.).

Though I'm sure few of you witnessed that performance, rest assured that it was a mountain-top experience that all would enjoy.

So....come out to JamFest this year if you can. It begins at 5:00PM on Friday. T-shirts are being sold in the campus center for $5. Attached is the front and back of the t-shirt. I've also included an idea that we REALLY wanted to use...but for some reason the ACU Administration wasn't on board with it.

OUT!

6 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I remember that Battle of the Bands. I was dating a guy who was in what was probably the crappiest band (what horrid, horrid memories -- the guy AND the band) and I remember that he and his bandmates really hated Painted Pony. That relationship ended horribly the next year and I've pretty much blocked out everything having to do with him. That's probably why I don't remember your band's performance. I wish I could. I'm sure it was great.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

Oh -- and that picture ROCKS. I always knew Royce's fro had potential.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Corey said...

Tienemen Weekend. Pure Greatness. I remember watching you guys practice in the guys locker room of Bennett Gymnasium like it was yesterday. I think Jeff Isler was wearing a "Coca-Cola" rugby.

I also remember Jay Isler telling me that KISS was the worst band ever because their music was too simple.

As I recall, KISS sold a few records in their day. Simple...I think not.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Val said...

Now was that hatred for the Gayla Hester Painted Pony or the Painted Pony with VD? Wait, maybe I should rephrase that...

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger SG said...

I was there and I have never been able to wipe those images from my mind..Deeb on the keyboard and the islers especially. Thanks for the trip to 1990!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Funny funny stuff-love the album cover!! Jamfest was awesome-it was great to hang out with you and yes, ACU has mucho talent-man, I bet that would have been fun to be there back in the day (HA!) at the Battle of the Bands...I think I was 11 then...

Hope you had a great weekend and I hope to see you around more-God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home