"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Ice Storm of 2007

Okay...first of all, can we tap the brakes a bit and stop referring to this weather event in Abilene as an "ice storm." To me, an ice storm means inches upon inches of freezing rain, sleet and snow with power lines snapping and an entire city brought to its knees.

Anyhow, we heeded the advice to "travel only in an absolute emergency," so Robin, the kids and I were cooped up in the house from Friday evening through Monday evening. While we enjoy being together as a family, here are a few observations about our extended weekend.
  1. I am a grown man with a college degree. Elijah is in Kindergarten. So why the heck can I not beat him on this stinkin' football game he got with his Gamecube?!?!?! We have played 8 times, and I have failed to beat him once!!! He keeps telling me "it's just a game," which makes me even angrier. But Monday afternoon was the final straw...as he asked me, "Daddy, would you like me to let you win?"
  2. Worship was cancelled on Sunday due to the ice, so the Campbell's held worship at the Gill Drive Church of Christ (also known as our house). Noah led the singing...complete with a rousing rendition of the Wise Man/Foolish Man song. We raised our hands several times during the song...so I guess you could say the Holy Spirit was moving. Elijah prayed. Graham crackers and Capri Sun were the communion emblems. And for good measure, I took each one of my kids out on the front porch and spanked them - just wouldn't seem like Sunday worship without a good beating.
  3. Good football games on this weekend...at least that's what I heard! Not bitter - just busy!
  4. Monday was MLK Day. I asked Elijah if he knew what that meant. He knew that MLK stood for Martin Luther King, Jr. (remember, he's G-T!). I then explained how MLK wanted Black people to be treated the same as White people. He looked at me funny and then went into some commentary on blond-headed children being the best and the rest being killed. I told him it sounded like he was getting Hitler and MLK mixed up. Then he wanted to know who Hitler was...so I told him to go play his Gamecube.
  5. The MLK Day Parade was cancelled in Abilene on Monday. Wonder how long it will be before Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson blame a white conspiracy for the ice storm.
  6. By Monday evening the Campbell's had had WAY too much togetherness. Cabin Fever was setting in...so we made a trip to Wal-Mart. This is a friendly reminder to those of you who haven't figured it out yet. If your family is getting on your nerves...the LAST PLACE YOU NEED TO GO IS TO WAL-MART!!!!!
  7. Does anyone else lay awake at night listening to your heater running and start muttering, "Please turn off, please turn off, please turn off..." And it never does!

Happy Tuesday!

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach on brother about number 7. My gas bills are outrageous, so I had some more insulation put in my attic yesterday. By the way, I had a little bit of sticker shock on that one.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger RoniZee said...

The snow has attacked the Portland area as well.....and I am now stuck at home. But believe me, I will not be setting foot in Walmart.

PS. I also try to send subliminal messages to my heater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home