"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Monday, January 08, 2007

Random Holiday Observations

Just a few rambling tidbits concerning the entire Christmas/New Year holiday:

  1. Is there anything more fun than watching your kids run into the room to see what Santa Claus brought them!?!?! Elijah asked Santa Claus for a Nintendo Gamecube…and Santa easily secured this request. Noah, on the other hand, had asked Santa Claus for a treasure chest. Santa was a bit perplexed by this one, but got a little help in finding this cardboard treasure chest complete with a pirate costume and other accessories – eyepatch, sword, dagger, axe, headband, etc. He was tickled to death and has spent most waking hours with at least a portion of this costume on his body. Jacob got a whiffleball bat – BIG mistake!
  2. Who decreed that it’s good luck to eat black-eyed peas for good luck? Why cant it be good luck to eat chocolate cake or ice cream? Why isn’t it good luck to eat chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes. Heck, I’d even settle for a variety of other vegetables to eat for good luck…as long as they don’t taste like dirt!!!
  3. Are either of you uncomfortable watching Dick Clark on TV. I think what he is doing is admirable…but it is positively painful to watch him. That being said, it’s equally painful watching Ryan Seacrest. My wife tells me he’s good looking, but c’mon – is he funny??? I don't get him...but I guess that's why he's making millions doing what he's doing and I'm...well, I'm making less than he is.
  4. Spent New Year’s Eve with some old friends of ours from our days in McKinney and had a blast. The best part of the night was playing this new board game that one of them brought. I can’t remember the name of it, but it was hysterical. I LOVE games like that – Scattergories, Outburst, SceneIt (Robin got me the ESPN version for Christmas), Trivial Pursuit, etc. A special shout out to other old reliables like Skip-Bo, Uno, Spades, and “42”.
  5. How long is too long to leave up your Christmas lights? Christmas tree should come down the day after the last gift has been opened…but I think Christmas lights are acceptable up until the playing of the BCS Championship game.
  6. A shout out to LSU for making my holiday season complete by putting a good ol’ fashion butt-whoopin’ on the Failing Irish of Notre Dame.
  7. Only 349 more shopping days ‘til Christmas!!!

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who did you see from McKinney?? I do miss some good friends. And glad you guys had a good Christmas. Isn't it a blast having 3 little ones around the tree?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home