"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Chip Off The Old Block...Kinda!

So I meet Robin and the boys at our traditional Tuesday evening eating establishment, Rosa's, and Robin is absolutely beaming. "I've got some exciting news to tell you," she says hurriedly.

I immediately rule out the possibility of a 4th Campbellite being on the way...as we had spent the entire holidays at either her parents and my parents and...well...you know...you just CAN'T (can you?). Anyhow, so I start mulling over in my head what this exciting news could possibly be. She orders...and then is about to tell me her news...when our dining partners arrive.

"I'll tell you later," she mumbles out of the side of her mouth.

That's not fair! You can't tell me you've got something exciting to share and then make me wait. So I'm scarcely able to enjoy my dinner because I'm entranced on what it could be that Robin has to share.

Did a rich uncle die and leave one of us as his sole heir?
Did the Dallas Cowboys get rid of Terrell Owens?
Is our TV stuck on ESPN?
Is KISS doing another "farewell" tour?
Did our cable provider get rid of HG TV?


These and a plethora of other great moments are flying through my mind. As we're driving to the house Robin says, "I'll tell you when we get home - I don't want the kids to hear."

Uh-oh! Maybe Victoria's Secret had a clearance sale??? I was prepared to order every kid upstairs, slide a pizza under the door, and tell them not to come down until the sun rises!

So we pull into the garage, the kids hop out, we pile through the utility room, and Robin makes a beeline to a piece of paper on the kitchen counter. "What's that," I ask? (I'm well known for asking the tough, hard-hitting questions).

"This is what I wanted to tell you about - it's Elijah's G-T application."

I feigned excitement the best I could for a span of two to three seconds. But seeing how Robin was so excited, I had to ask the next "tough" question.

"Uh...what's 'G-T'?"

She shook her head as though she'd just been struck by an anvil. "Duh - it stands for 'Gifted and Talented'. He's made it through the preliminary screening, and he's being invited to apply for the Gifted and Talented program at his school."

Pretty exciting stuff...but I'll hold off on contacting the folks at Harvard and Yale until after he completes Kindergarten. And this just goes to show that Elijah got both his athleticism AND his brains from his mother.

Gee - I wonder if he's even my child!!!

5 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger mom23 said...

I just love your story telling and I'm glad you are blogging again!

I hold Elijah in a special place in my heart because I consider him Chloe's very first friend.

And tell Robin hi for me!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just see that look you get on your face when you have to wait for something. I just love that you are blogging again. It's a bright spot in my day. Have a great weekend Chris!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jim MacKenzie said...

In response to your derogatory remark on my blog:

Hey man,

Just because you’ve blogged three times in the last week (which is a record for you in the past six months, BTW)….

It is 6 degrees here this morning and we are expecting MORE snow…

Also, I have been playing catch-up since schmoozing with all of you folk last week…

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger RoniZee said...

Seriously.....Gifted and Talented? That must all have come from your wife's side of the family.

PS. Your kids are cute...well, most of the pictures are of the back of them, but from what I can tell...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

Do I need to find an alum to write Elijah a letter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home