"I asked for a car; I got a computer."

Looking for a commentary that uses big words and ponders the deeper meanings of various topics? Well...you've come to the wrong place. This blog is all about extolling the greatness of Christ, the joy of marriage, the rollercoaster ride called parenthood, the supremacy of the 1980's...and doing all of it at a fifth grade reading level!

Friday, November 11, 2005

The Most Controversial Top Ten EVER!!!

You're trapped on a desert island. While you have food and water aplenty, you have little else...except for an iPod...with 10 songs. What are those 10 songs?

Granted, this is not a blatant attempt to identify the top 10 songs of all time...but this just happens to be the top ten songs of all time. So deal with it!

10. "Rock'n'Roll" - Led Zeppelin: No list is complete without at least on entry from these guys. Probably my favorite song to play air guitar to...or air drums...or air bass.
9. "It's All I Can Do" - The Cars: A very underrated and underappreciated offering from Ric Ocasek and the gang. On a side note, the fact that a creepy looking dude like Ocasek was able to woo a beautiful supermodel gave hope to all of us goofs around the globe.
8. "American Girl" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Pretty much any song eluded to in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" deserves to be in this list. And it doesn't seem right selecting only one Tom Petty song. I heard the Goo Goo Dolls perform this song during an encore in Las Vegas...and it was equally awesome.
7. "School of Rock" - School of Rock: Okay, the fact that these kids are all 10-years old and playing this song is amazing in and of itself. But regardless of that fact -- what a great tune! If you haven't seen the movie PLEASE rent it.
6. "Bonzo Goes To Bitzburg" - The Ramones: Although I'm not a big fan of songs that give a commentary on our nation's government, this one is extremely entertaining. And listening to a punk band use a xylophone makes it extra-tasty. This song was also featured in the movie "School of Rock." "I Wanna Be Sedated" also should garner some honorable mention."
5. "I'll Be" - Edwin McCain: I know, I know...but I gotta have something that I can relax to. And this song is awesome. It was used in a tribute to one of Robin's softball players in Tom Bean that was killed in a car accident during the season...so this song also generates a tear or two each time I hear it.
4. "Bad" - U2: (No, I'm not talking about the Michael Jackson song! Jacko's "Bad" isn't even as good as Big Audio Dynamite's song of the same name). I'm out on U2 after "Rattle & Hum," but this offering, which appeard on both "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Wide Awake In America" still makes my eyes well up.
3. "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock'n'Roll)" - AC/DC: Jethro Tull had their flute; AC/DC busted out with the bagpipes.
2. "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" - Judas Priest: Hopefully I don't have to forfeit my spot in Heaven for this...but I'm a HUGE Priest fan. And no, listening to their music has never caused me to contemplate taking my own life.

And number 1 is...

1. "Superman" - R.E.M.: This song is so great it's not even listed on the album it was included on, "Life's Rich Pageant." Good harmony, nice keyboard...and the clip from "Godzilla" at the beginning is sheer genius.

Next up -- songs I could live without.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Darren Duvall said...

Has to be the 'Wide Awake in America' version of 'Bad', hands down.

The backup in case 'Bad' were not available would be the version of 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' from 'Rattle And Hum'.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger D Pitt said...

No 50 Cent? Eminem?
I would have to put "I still havent found..." on there - good call Darren.
What about November Rain or Patience by Guns N Roses?

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alright, Chris, I'm gonna have to work on my top 10--kudos on the Ramones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home