Thursday, May 3rd, will be my last day here at good ol
. Robin, the boys and I are heading back to the Metroplex
. I'll expound more on that next time.
But during this time of reflection I've been thinking of ways to say "good-bye." And what says "good-bye" better than a song. So...from the home office in Chickasha
, OK, are the Top Ten Good-bye Songs of All Time.
10. "Friends are Friends Forever" (Michael W. Smith) - True, I hate the song as much as the next person...but nothing can get a bunch of folks swaying back and forth while holding hands (with the possible exception of singing "Saw Varsity's Horns Off" at an Aggie game). This song is especially effective when Amy Grant makes a cameo appearance during the singing...though I doubt she'll be doing that during my farewell reception.
9. "Time For Me To Fly" (R.E.O. Speedwagon
) - I'm a product of the 80's, so this list will be 80's-intensive. And no list of good-bye songs would be complete without an offering from these guys.
8. "It's So Hard To Say Good-Bye To Yesterday" (Boyz
II Men) - Soul meets doo
-wop. Love it...I just wish I could sing it!
7. "Time Of Your Life" (Green Day) - It sounds weird to me for a punk band to sing an acoustic ballad-type song....especially when it almost brings a tear to your eye. This is the perfect slide show song.
6. "I'll Be" (Edwin McCain) - I was at the funeral of a teenager once when this song was played...and I cried my eyes out! It's sounds more like a love song...but it was a pretty effective good-bye FOREVER song for me.
5. "Take The Name Of Jesus With You" (Song #500 in "Great Songs of the Church): As a life-long member of the C of C, how could I not mention this?!?!?! We used to sing this practically every Sunday night as the dismissal song when I was growing up. Granted, I don't like the song...but it gets its message across.
4. "Goodbye" (Hootie
& The Blowfish
, the name of the song is "Goodbye" -- how could it NOT be on the list. Even though it's the next to last track on "Cracked Rear View" (which, by the way, is what you get when a plumber comes to your house - ha), it really is a tremendous song about saying farewell to one you love.
3. "Adam's Song" (Blink 182): This is a little dark...especially since it's a good-bye as a result of a suicide. But, nonetheless, a moving farewell that causes one to think.
2. "Don't You Forget About Me" (Simple Minds): The title says it all...and, since it's associated with one of the greatest movies of all time ("The Breakfast Club"), it HAS to be on the list. But it ain't quite #1. That belongs to...
1. "40" (U2): Since 1984 they have ended every concert with this song. So when 15,000 screaming fans demand that you say good-bye in a particular manner...well, that's enough to make it number 1 on my list. I think I'll play this as I pack my office.
Either of you wanna weigh in on good-bye songs? Feel free...